Translate

Thursday, August 22, 2013

A new Adventure...Israel!


    
     It all started with an email from Margaret, our Chief Executive Officer at Full Access, asking if anyone would be interested in an exchange program involving partnering with another organization, and potential travel for the partnership. I enjoy traveling and new adventures, so I naturally said yes.
      A few months later I was asked by Margaret if I had my passport, because there was a good chance I would be going to Israel! This led to a meeting with MIUSA, which stands for Mobility International USA. There goal is to empower people who experience a disability, or professionals that work with individuals that experience a disability through exchange programs. These exchange programs build relationships between people all over the world, and allow people to share ideas, experiences, and cultures.
     If you want to check out their website, it's: http://www.miusa.org/ .
   
     Full Access was accepted and we will be partnering with Bizchut and Ono Academic College in Israel. Bizchut is the Israel Human Rights Center for People with Disabilities. As their name suggests, they assist in a range of important services for individuals who have disabilities. Specifically; housing, legal advice/representation for people who have been discriminated against due to their disability, and inclusive education (to name a few things). Their office is located in Jerusalem.     
     The second partner is Ono Academic College. They already work with Bizchut, so it should be a natural relationship. Their main goal is to offer an academic degree to individuals that will translate into a place in the workforce, with a lot of attention towards helping individuals that may have a difficult time with this otherwise.
     Please feel free to check out their websites!
Bizchut
Ono Academic College

     I will be going to Israel for a week to share ideas with these two organizations, teach them about Full Access and what we have to offer for individuals who have disabilities. I will also be learning new approaches and ideas in Israel that I will bring back and share with Full Access. These two organizations will then be sending people to Eugene, OR and Full Access will get to host them for part of the time they are here. 

     This is the short story of why I am going to Israel. I am also going because I get to immerse myself in a new culture and experience amazing things. I am excited about seeing historical sites that are so old, it is almost difficult for me to comprehend, the US doesn't have the history Israel has!  I am very excited to explore the Old City in Jerusalem and to try to take in all the amazing things I will see... and the food, markets and maybe even camels! There will be lots more to follow.

-

Many thanks to Full Access, MIUSA, Bizchut, Ono Academic College and the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (who made this entire exchange possible).

  

1 comment: